Friday, February 24, 2006

Follow Up

Well, I made it to the follow up with RE #2 yesterday. Things went okay.
I was armed with the recent diagnosis of the septum and several questions for old RE(aka DF).
The staff at this clinic is very nice. The receptionist and all of the nurses love me. It's hard for me to maintain a pissed off attitude in this environment. Like I have said before, this IVF clinic really gets the emotional aspects of the IVF process. They are very compassionate. But, compassion doesn't equal pregnancies unfortunately.
I arrive at 10:36 am, I had to call the clinic and tell them I was going to be a couple of minutes late. Something huge had flown off of a transfer truck on the interstate so right before my exit to RE #2, the interstate was open with only one lane of traffic. Traffic was extremely congested.
I was wheeled immediately back to my RE's office. Nice hand shake when I entered the room and instead of sitting behind his desk he sits closer to me. More towards the side.
So here's where things get interesting.
Him- So, you are here for the follow up on your frozen transfer?
Me- Yup
He then goes into a whole spill of how only 1 of the three embryos made it through the thaw. They hatched it a 7 cells. That immediately confused me because I was told that it gained a cell after the thaw process. Oh well, not to concerned about Lone Ranger. He/she put up a good fight just to survive the thaw process.
He then goes into the whole spill of how all my embryo's were excellent quality after my fresh cycle and they had a lot of hope that it would work. That my cycle was textbook for pregnancy. Now we all know that excellent quality embryos don't amount to a hill of beans in the IVF game.
I then question any changes he would make to my protocol?
He answers with none.
I then told him about my day 3 fsh coming back as 11.
Once again would you change my protocol?
He asked who performed my days 3's. I tell him my ob/gyn. He goes into a spill about if I was 39 that wouldn't concern him so much but being only 32 that is something that does concern him a little. But, still thinks that the long lupron protocol worked wonderfully for me and he would not change it.
Yeah maybe a year and a half ago when my fsh was only 6.5, but um.. Now it's 11? He knows I don't respond the best anyway. I didn't realize they performed the day 3 testing on me a year and a half ago.
So, I then ask him to explain the findings of the hysteroscopy? What did he see when performing it?
He reads back my surgical report to me. Everything looks great.
So this is the part where he looks like a deer caught in head lights.
I then tell him that I consulted a 3rd RE on Jan. the 24th and I was diagnosised with a uterine septum.
I lay out the diagnosis sheet and wait.
His eyes get as wide as two saucers and he says to me. YOU DO NOT HAVE A SEPTUM.
I said humm..
I then question the fact that in my surgical report it states that the ostium(opening of the fallopian tubes) could be seen on the left but not on the right when the hysteroscopy was inserted? With a normal uterus you should be able to see both openings.
He stutters a little bit.
I then ask about the white tissue area that I see on the hysteroscopy pictures. Both of these are classic signs of septums.
He just repeats you do not have a septum.
He asked what procedure new RE used to diagnosis this and I told him standard procedure that they perform before they cycle anyone at their clinic. A saline u/s.
He then states that he's performed many saline u/s and he too has thought that many women have had septums. That after moving forward with the hysteroscopy they have shown to not have a septum.
I then explain that I'm sick and tired of spending all of this money out of pocket. That I want some answers before anyone carves on my uterus. That if I do infact have a septum and it was missed that this was something detrimental.
He suggest that I seek a third opinion to put my mind at ease, and repeats that I do not have a septum.
Well, let me tell you folks. I'm seriously over it. I know it's hard for RE's to acknowledge their mistakes. But, I need some answers to this situation.
So, I have ANOTHER consultation with another RE in my area on March the 13th. I need some answers before I close this book on IVF if you know what I mean?
It's a big ass cluster fuck if you ask me!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Holy cow, Kim, thats crazy! I am sorry you are having to go through YET MORE appointments to figure out what the heck is going on. That 3rd opinion is definitely the right way to go, though. Glad you are a fiesty one and keeping these REs on their toes !

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you have to do all this again. You are so brave. I am sure I should have gone to another RE years ago but I just don't have the energy. It is so much easier to just stick with one who has my history even though I am still not pg. I really admire you for that.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Kimmer, you were indeed brave and should be proud of yourself. While I am glad your clinic seems to take you seriously when it comes to emotions, big stuff like this should not be overlooked. I'm glad you're going for the third opinion, otherwise you'll never really trust your RE again.

Just from my own perspective, though -- I think you will always ask yourself just what it is you have. I've heard so many cases now of back-and-forth on the septum question that I'm starting to think, OK, stop faffing around, everyone ( I mean the doctors) and go in and see, using the best diagnostic tools available. Hysteroscopy is indeed more effective than saline ultrasounds, but your last hysteroscopy was unable to visualize your right ostium, I would probably go ahead and have another one done. Please know that I realize how utterly frustrating this kind of thing is. I could kill my doctor for reassuring me I didn't have a septum when he could not be sure. It amazes me, now that I know more about botched diagnoses, how little doctors seem to know about septa. Best of luck to you, my dear.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Another septum sister here to say "Cheesus f'ing Keerist!"

I'm sorry you're going through this, I have read many tales of misdiagnosis of "Mullerian Duct Defects" as Kath points out.

And think about it - another hysteroscopy means the GROOVY, GROOVY drugs, man! Without another abdominal scar! I am a sick pup, I know.

Damn, good luck with RE#3.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry the doc was so unhelpful. The septum thing does seem to confuse a lot of them - have you read Kath's experience?

Hoping the next RE figures it out.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Oh my gosh that is nuts. Hopefully you will get some definate answers and SOON!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home